Cue the Christmas music (which, in some households, has been playing since the day after Halloween)! Don’t judge – we love this time of year and cannot help it! Between shopping, decorating, wrapping, and celebrating, the last thing anyone wants to think about is insurance.
Unfortunately, this time of year is also when more people have to deal with an insurance claim, and therefore their agent and a claims adjuster, than any other time of year. If you are a current client of ours, you can be sure we will do everything in our power to make a process like this as easy and bearable as possible, even if that means having you over for Thanksgiving dinner (believe it or not, this has happened in the past with our president, Doug Haeussler). That being said, here are some great tips to prevent claims, even if Doug does make a great fried turkey 😊:
- Place the tree in a stand designed to hold the weight of that specific tree.
- Never place a tree near a heat source.
- A tree should be at least 3 feet from fireplaces, vents, and radiators.
- Do not use candles to decorate the tree.
- If you are using older lights, be sure to check for exposed wires or cracked bulbs. Dispose of these immediately if you find this.
- Always unplug holiday lights when no one is home.
- Never use indoor lights outside.
- Do not overload electrical sockets (Mr. Griswold was a walking insurance nightmare!)
- Do not block exit paths to doors with decorations.
- Never leave a stove unattended.
- Keep pot handles turned inward.
- Place all ornaments and candles out of reach of small children and pets.
- Beware of toxic décor such as mistletoe and holly berries.
- Always have a designated driver when enjoying adult holiday beverages.
- Check your tires often.
- Keep extra clothing and emergency items in your vehicle.
- SLOW DOWN – the U.S. department of Transportation recommends slowing down by 50% in bad weather.
- Keep devices charged.
- Keep one or two lights on inside your home if you will be traveling.
We offer just about every kind of insurance policy you may need during this season – from standard home, auto, and umbrella policies to event and travel insurance. If you are having a party and plan on serving alcohol, event insurance should always be one of your first thoughts (we know it isn’t, so let us take care of this for you and just let us know of any upcoming plans you may have.) No matter what, HI Agency is always here to help answer any questions you may have. From our families to yours, we wish you a safe and wonderful holiday!